Tips and Shortcuts For Working With NIBRS Data
This section provides some basic tips and shortcuts for working with NIBRS or IBR data sets with similar coding schemes. The data conversions or recodings shown in these examples accomplish multiple things: reduce file size, reduce processing time, enhance data analyses, and simplify data displays. Saving standard blocks of code to use for all appropriate analyses is recommended. The concepts illustrated below are transferable to a variety of software used for manipulating and analyzing data.
For examples of SPSS code to accomplish the following tasks, click on the example of interest. You can also download the SPSS syntax to complete all of the recodes.
- Converting alphanumeric age codes to numeric values
- Converting alphanumeric offense codes to numeric values
- Creating offense groupings for person, property, and society offenses
- Creating age groups from ages of victims, offenders, and arrestees
- Converting offense times into quarter hour groupings